Sunday 28 April 2013

My Experience At the Gold Coast Supanova


 

I attended Supanova this year as a volunteer and had an absolute blast. I thought I would share my experience with you guys as Supanova is really only known well in the Australia/New Zealand region but it is pretty much like a small version of Comicon. Last year when I was there I got to meet Felicia Day and some of the staff from Roosterteeh and had a really good time, that is where I got my avatar from with Felicia Day. I hope you enjoy.
At Supanova in Brisbane with Felicia Day
This year I was really excited to meet the stars and also reunite with the crew of volunteers I helped out with last year and it was interesting seeing them again and only thinking it was yesterday that I had last spoke with them. Anyway, for stars this time around I was looking forward to meeting Adam Baldwin and going to his panel, Eliza Duschku and Jack Patillo and they didn't disappoint, in fact they were really friendly and funny which was great. Adam even did reenactments on stage of scenes from Firefly and phones calls with Nathan Fillion. Plus I even got to ask him a question in his Q&A part.
At Supanova in the Gold Coast with Adam Baldwin
There were some pretty awesome moments during the weekend that I would love to share, here are some of them. Including the fact that I got to meet and chat with Sylvester Mccoy who was the Seventh Doctor in Dr. Who and Radaghast in The Hobbit movie. He was really friendly and happily shared his experience on set and told me how little time they had to read the script before they would have to perform. I was line managing for Alex Kingston for most of the Saturday and there would have been hundreds upon hundreds of signatures signed by her. I have no idea how their arms don't get tired from it, but I guess at $40 each it is easy to forget the pain of signing and easy to remember how much money your making by writing your name on a piece of paper and saying a few things to your fans and complimenting their costumes. But in all seriousness she gave each fan a few minutes of her time and genuinely cared, sadly enough she got food poisoning on the Sunday but still signed pictures and posters from her hotel room and they were driven back and forth to the convention centre. I am not sure whether I would have that much dedication to my fans personally but I am not famous anyway so I guess it doesn't matter either way. On the Sunday I did line management for 3 of the actors who played some of the hobbits in the new movie. They were nice guys and fun to talk with, when I looked over to Ray Parks line he didn't really have too many people so he go up and took pictures around the convention centre and talked with fans even if they didn't have anything to sign. It was nice to see and on my break I got a photo and signature with both Adam Balwin and Eliza Dushku(which can be seen below.) They were both very friendly and appreciative even though I incorrectly credited Eliza as Alex from White Collar when she only appeared in one episode. But other than that it was pretty good, I also bought a poster and gave it to my friend to get signed by Jack from Achievement Hunter as she was a volunteer at the Hanabee booth but somehow she accidentally sold the poster so I had to find a different one for him to sign. After that I went back home and was pretty tired, all in all some of the other volunteers and staff were a bit frustrating at times but it all worked out in the end.
At Supanova in the Gold Coast with Eliza Dushku


So if I was going to rate it the convention like a video game this is what I would give it:

9.5/10

+Over 50 stars/celebrities including David Haselhoff, Eliza, Adam, Jack and even the actor from I dream of Jeannie.
+Panels were great and very spacious.
+Lines were long but never overly excessive.
-Layout was a bit disorientating and the map didn't explain the fact that the panels were on the top level well at all.


Let me know in the comments below your thoughts, if you have ever been to Supanova I would love to hear what you thought about it, if not feel free to share you experiences you have had at other conventions and maybe even a funny or weird story to about the con. I would especially like to know what it is like to attend Comicon or E3 as I would love to go there at some point in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment